Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it. Provebs 22:6
I have always been fascinated with 'nature vs. nurture' studies, and at one time (before I had children) I believed that boys and girls were so different because of their upbringing...isn't it fun to see things you were certain of turned upside down?
I learned quickly with our oldest daughter that some girls were going to be 'girly' regardless of what the parents did. Now, as a mother of boys, I know that God is giggling in his throne room as I struggle with the truth that a little 'y' chromosome can make such a huge difference!
So, without further ado, I've learned that you know you are raising a son when:
10. A conversation on any topic can turn into a discussion on animal waste within three sentences.
9. You ask if he has a clean shirt on and he immediately looks down to see if there is any dirt (on the shirt you KNOW he's worn for three days)
8. You walk in his room to collect dirty clothes and find a week's worth of clean underwear in the corner...but no dirty pairs.
7. You have to create rules like 'no dinosaurs at the table'.
6. You decide to raise 'peace-loving' children but they still create guns out of sticks, fingers, and even sandwiches
5. He delightedly shows you that certain body parts 'bounce' when he jumps.
4. Bodily noises create gales of giggles and bragging instead of embarrassment
3. Your son proudly announces that he has discovered eight ways to create those embarrassing bodily noises
2. He chooses to drink root beer because it makes you 'burp better'
And the number one way to know that you are raising a son is....
1. When your family meets your daughter's boss (a minister) for the first time, he proudly announces that he hasn't made any of those embarrassing bodily noises in several days cause he's saving them up for a really big release!