Monday, January 29, 2007

How's Your Reading Going?

Well, it's confession time. Remember how I said I read ahead last year? Good thing...I didn't do very well in my reading this week. I am no longer ahead.

The portion I am reading right now is hard for me to get into. It is the instructions for building the tabernacle and all it's furniture. It gets so detailed and is full of cubits. It is really easy for me to get distracted. Then, just when I made it through, then Exodus repeats itself by explaining how the tabernacle was build exactly to specifications. What is a sea cow, anyway?

If I'm going to be able to stick with this, I think I'm going to have to switch to Steve Lata's approach -- read a book from the Old Testament and then switch to the New Testament for a different picture. As long as I read each day, right? Worst case I can stop in the middle of a really tough text to read a chapter from Psalms or Proverbs; that should help.

I do have to say that I am incredible impressed with God's involvement in the details. I'm not sure why he had Moses write all this down twice, but it does give us a picture of His level of concern for seemingly mundane details. If He is so concerned about what is embroidered on the curtains and how many poles there are in the tent, it helps me to know that He is also concerned about the details in our lives.

So...let me know how YOU are doing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, thanks for your thoughts. That is a great thing to notice about God being so concerned about the details. How thankful I am that He is concerned about all the details in my life and in the life of His church!! God bless. Steve Ross