Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm Thankful on Tax Day

I know that sounds strange, but really, I am. For several reasons, actually.

I'm thankful that my husband is gainfully employed and able to pay our taxes without too much trouble. Plenty of grumbling, maybe, but no real hardship.

And yes, there are plenty of folks out there who will tell us all the ways that our taxes are wasted. Yes, I believe that many of them are right. However, my children receive basic education (not don't get me started on the quality of that...), our transportation infrastructure is much better than most countries in the world, I'm proud of the security system our country and community has, and the things that we worry most about in our country are often not even on the radar screens of 85% of the people in the world.

The Bible tells us to "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thess 5:18). Even Jesus himself told us to pay taxes in Matthew 22.

So, silly as it may sound, I want to remember to be thankful today of all days.

No comments: