Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Making Sense When Life Doesn't

Making Sense When Life Doesn't
by
Cecil Murphey

My Thoughts:

When I first picked up this book I expected it to be related to those really tough times in life when disasters occur -- deaths, terminal illness, physical and psychological pain. Sort of a "Where is God when Bad Things Happen" book. The kind of book you buy for a friend in crisis. I guess I had this perception from the title.

Instead, it is a book about everyday life -- coping with the daily challenges that clutter up my and block my vision of God's love and mercy. Yes, there are chapters that deal with the big crises, but I continually found myself learning great insights that help me deal with my daily frustrations. Murphey uses his life experiences to help the reader deal with jealousy, anger, regrets, forgiveness, pain. Between the pages of his personal struggles, I learned from the vast wisdom that accompanies a life of challenges.

This is not a book by someone telling you how to 'get over' the situation or 'buck up'.  It is the heartfelt, gut-wrenching type of life lessons that cause you to examine parts of your life that you didn't realize were broken and open your eyes to the possibility of moving on as a stronger person.

This is a book I want to reread every year.

See what others are saying about the book at http://litfusegroup.com/blogtours/13522873

Link to buy the book: 

http://ow.ly/cwY3P

More about the book:

Beloved author Cecil Murphey empowers readers to discover the good in every situation and to make life better because of adversities.

Sometimes life gets messy. It’s cluttered with too many demands. Companies downsize. Love relationships end. Trauma hits. When chaos erupts, every person has a choice to make—to decide whether it’s the worst time of life, to find comfort in the way things used to be, to move on because change is forced, and then resent everything that happens, or to say, “This can be the best time of my life. I can try the things I wanted to do but never did.”

In Making Sense When Life Doesn’t, Cecil Murphey’s compelling stories, hope-filled insights, and gentle encouragement move readers with messy lives to the stunning realization that life won’t ever be perfect, but it can be good…even exciting!






Meet Cecil Murphey:

Cecil Murphey has written or co-written more than 125 books, including the bestsellers 90 Minutes in Heaven (with Don Piper) and Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (with Dr. Ben Carson). His books have sold in the millions and have brought hope and encouragement to countless people around the world.

Murphey stays busy as a professional writer and travels extensively to speak on topics such as writing, spiritual growth, caregiving, significant living, sexual abuse, and recovery.

Prior to launching his career as a full-time writer and speaker, he served as pastor of Riverdale Presbyterian Church in Metro Atlanta, as a volunteer hospital chaplain for ten years, and was a missionary in Kenya for six. For more information, visit www.cecilmurphey.com

No comments: