Thursday, January 31, 2013

Writer's Retreat Day 5

REALLY? Day 5 already? This opportunity has been such a blessing to me -- especially as an introvert in a house full of extroverts (with the exception of my buddy Chris). Although I have definitely not accomplished all I planned. This was what I 'd written a week or so before the retreat about my goals:
I want to spend part of each day in Bible Study/Prayer, listen to some writing workshop MP3s that I have from a conference, and work on my novel (which means I want to write more than I research!), and outline some speeches that I have booked for March, April, and May. In my 'spare' time, I want to try to set up my goals for the year regarding writing and speaking and maybe outline some articles I want to write. 
 Ok - I haven't  listened to ANY MP3s (or watched any of the quilting videos I'd thought I'd watch during by 'breaks'). I've done lots more research than writing, and I haven't even thought about my speeches or goals and articles!
But I have spent some great time praying and journaling, reading my Bible, and just being still (actually kind of hard for me). I've written about 4000 words so far and I've done a lot more research, learning some fascinating things about the culture of Israel during Jesus' life. I've outlined the characteristics of my main characters and have gone to great lengths to plan a walking trip from Capernaum to Jerusalem during two major holidays (and learned a lot about Sabbath rituals in the meantime). Not for me, of course, but for my characters. I have to say it was almost as much fun as planning a trip for myself.  
So I want to get another 4000 words if possible (even though my goal set on Tuesday was 10,000). I may wander out and take a walk today (the only time I've left the condo was to sit on the porch for the sunrise or to take out the trash). I just wish we were at the bottom of this big hill instead of the top of it -- it would be so much easier to walk UP first and then back down!
I know I'm going to have to really discipline myself when I get home to keep writing. Maybe this 5:30 wake up time will stick with me.    

No comments: