Monday, August 19, 2013

I Need to be Commited

Ok, I know some of you would agree that I should be committed to an asylum of some sort (hey, if they have sewing machines it might not be all bad -- a little peace and quiet, and lots of imaginary friends to talk to). However, this time I'm talking about being committed to make a change.

I have to come clean. Really clean -- and organized! And I need to be held publicly accountable. My office is a pit.

I admit it, I have a problem. I'm a 'piler'. I get really important stuff that needs to be taken care of, and I pile it on my desk so I can 'handle' it.




But I don't. I move the piles around, make new piles, and sometimes tower things up into a tall pile. Once in a while I go through a pile and am happy to reduce it's height by throwing away all the things that have expired or are no longer relevant.




We have turned our dining room, which we would never use, into a wonderful office where I can write and design quilts.




But mostly I've created piles.














I even have piles UNDER the desk. Some of this stuff has been here since we moved in almost 4 years ago. Inside the drawers are just as bad.



I use 1 - 2 things in each drawer on occasion, and all have become junk drawers in their own right. 
Yes, that is my secret stash of chocolate stuffed in this one!

I need your help. I need to go public with this (although anyone who  has entered our house knows my dirty little secret - this is the lovely view you get when you first walk in). I need to be held accountable for cleaning.

I'm going to use two of my favorite 'people' for help -- Fly Lady (www.flylady.net) and Nony (http://www.aslobcomesclean.com/). I want to spend 15 minutes a day decluttering and  organizing using Nony's rules: 1) If I needed this item, where would I look for it (and put it there), and 2) If I needed this item would it even occur to me that I have it already? At the end of the week, I want to show you how great my desk looks, and I want to show it again at the end of September to see how well I did at maintaining it.

When I'm done with my desk, I have about 217 other projects to work on, but hey, if I get one done per month I'll be doing SO much better than I am today!

Anyone want to join in?

No comments: