Thursday, February 01, 2018

LIFE CHANGING BOOK - January: Walk It Out

One of my 2018 goals is to read a different nonfiction Christian book each month with the intent of learning from various well-respected authors. I want to expand my faith and really define what I believe. I thought about finding one spiritual 'mentor' and focusing on his/her books, but right now I want to understand the perspectives of those who have been important influencers of friends I respect. I've actually pulled together a list of about 20 books so I have many to choose from depending on what seems most important at the time.

Walk It Out: The Radical Result of Living God's Word One Step at a Time by [Goyer, Tricia]I started reading Walk It Out, by Tricia Goyer, before I decided to accept this challenge. While she is not regarded as a pillar in the faith by many, she is a woman I respect immensely. She's dealt with the difficult choices she made in the past and has moved forward with a life devoted to obedience. She and her husband are advocates for teen moms, foster kids, and caring for the elderly. In fact she is currently living with seven adopted children and her ailing grandmother. At the same time she has an active role in the local Teen MOPS group and their church. Walk it Out is a compilation of the different ways she has struggled to follow Christ and obey the call of God and it's chock full of great wisdom to help the reader to do the same.

Each chapter ends with thoughtful questions for reflection and a list of action steps that help the reader apply what was learned. Some are a true stretch, but many just involve taking one small step.

As a result of reading this book I'm challenged to spend more time really diving into my Bible. I want to see the wisdom and advice that is there and really find ways to apply it to my life. I want to worry less about what God holds in my future and to step out and see what he has for me today. And not really for me, but for me to do to help further his kingdom. Because a major theme in Goyer's story is that it's not about us. Yes, there will be amazing things we'll find along the way, but the real joy in living is sharing God's love and finding true joy in the adventure this life can hold.

No comments: