Monday, January 07, 2008

A New Year

Wow -- it's hard to believe that we are already one week into the new year! The kids went back to school today. I have to be honest -- I was dreading their long 'winter' break. Two eight year-olds cooped up in a house for more than two weeks? I knew it could be enough to make me more crazy than I already am.

Happily, while I was glad to get back to a routine in our home, I really enjoyed the break. Alicia was home for a little more than two weeks (longer than we've seen her in a couple of years!), and her boyfriend Clay visited for four days(yes, we approve). While Sammi was unfortunately still suffering from her migraine (six weeks and counting), it is much less painful and she's back to eating like a teenage boy. Becca was busy, as usual, with friends and work, but we got to see her when she wasn't sleeping in.

Alicia, Clay, Becca, and I went to see Wicked. It is an amazing show that will cause you to question the negative assumptions (and even the positive ones) that we make when we only see one side of the story! The music, the actors, and the scenery were terrific. I'd highly recommend it as one of my favorites (right up there with Aida and Les Miserables...even Fiddler on the Roof!).

The boys got several games for Christmas, and Santa finally relented and got a wii (our first video games ever...at least this one requires some physical movement). We tried to play at least one game per day (Stitch women STILL rule at Monopoly). No one got too bored, and for the most part we all got along happily!

Last year had its ups and downs, but overall it was a wonderful year. This year promises to bring a lot of excitement -- Becca graduates from high school, Alicia gets to visit France (finally!), Germany, Poland, and the Czchec republic (sp?) and she will graduate in December after her student teaching boot camp. Sammi is still planning to play every sport she can get her hands (or feet) on...swimming, soccer, and who knows what else! The boys will play basketball, and they want to learn baseball, and I guess I'll rack up a few more miles as cabbie. I get to go to a writer's conference in California in March, and Doug is looking forward to playing lots of golf.

What are your plans for the year?

No comments: