Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Smorgasbord of Life

There are so many good things to do in this world. Why do I always feel the need to 'do' or 'be' something? My to-do list overflows with good intentions, but somehow most of it never gets done. I have grand and glorious dreams, but often I only take a step or two in one direction before getting distracted by another dream. How do I know which of these desires is planted by God, and which is just the result of a fertile imagination? I know God has a plan for me, but things would be so much easier if he would just let me know what it is!

As I was journaling this morning, I got a different picture of what God's plan might look like. What if God's plan is to lead me to a particular place in life then to let me choose from a myriad of options he has laid out? The analogy of a restaurant came to mind. Perhaps he wants me to follow him past many different eating establishments and walk with him through the door of the one he chooses. Then he allows me to pick and choose among the options...any of which are acceptable in his sight? Some choices might be healtier than others, and some may be more pleasing to my tastebuds, but he allows me to feast on whatever I choose...and still be in his will!

I think my problem (well, one of them...) is that I am awed and somewhat overwhelmed by all the choices. I try to take a piece of everything but end up with my plate overflowing in a big mess. The gravy gets in the corn, the spaghetti spills over into the potatoes, and I'm not able to separate any item from the rest. And, I've chosen so much that I can't finish anything.

Maybe my goal this year should be to address this feast of life one course at a time. To step up to the salad bar, take a reasonably-sized portion, and finish that before moving on to the next course. To really taste and enjoy each part of my life without rushing through to get to the dessert.

Now, if I could only figure out which of these good things I want to do is the 'salad', I'd be on my way!

No comments: