Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Bible in a Year Feb 28 - Dt. 13: 1-16:8

 

Feb 28 - Dt. 13: 1-16:8

Verse 13:3 indicates that God will be testing the Israelites by allowing prophets and fortune tellers to try to persuade them to worship other Gods. Those prophets or ‘dreamers’ must be put to death. I wonder what our world would look like, what our religions would look like, if that command were followed today? I also wonder how much more faithful I would be if I looked at every temptation as if it were a test from God (although we are told that God himself will not tempt us, that is different  – see James  1:13).

I smiled when I read 13:6 where it says, ‘or the wife you love’. Most everything I’ve heard about those days seemed to involve arranged marriages and didn’t necessarily focus on a love relationship between spouses. I like that it is specifically added here!

Why would God have the people destroy the livestock of those who worshipped other gods? I can understand how the people could influence them to turn away, but what do you think might have been the reason for killing the animals (a.k.a. food)?

The text about servants who decided to stay with a family after the seventh year made me cringe. Truthfully I’d have to think long and hard about my choice if they were going to nail me to a door if I chose to stay!

We’ve made it through TWO MONTHS of Bible reading! Good job!

TOMORROW’S TEXT: Dt. 16:9 – 19:21

No comments: