Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Bible in a Year March 12 - Joshua 18:1 – 21:12

 

March 12 - Joshua 18:1 – 21:12

Well, this was another day of skimming for me. So many town names that don’t really mean much, but I did look at the map again – it’s here if you want it.

I wonder what the tribe of Benjamin thought of receiving the town of Jericho? Joshua had put a curse on anyone who built the town up (see Joshua 6:26), so essentially that would remain a shambles.

It was interesting to see that the inheritance for the tribe of Simeon came out of the allocation already given to Judah because it was bigger than Judah needed. I wonder how that came about – did the tribe of Judah offer it up, or were they perhaps a bit miffed to be losing some of the land they had already received?

I giggled a little when I read verse 19:33 – the boundary for Naphtali went from “Heleph and the large tree in Zaanannim…”. I guess it was a really large tree for everyone to know where it was!

The cities of refuge were established, too. Were there so many accidental deaths that these were so necessary? If someone were killed accidentally, how much time did the person have to escape to a city, or could vengeance be taken while he/she was on the way? I guess with the ‘eye for an eye’ law people might have wanted to seek retribution right away.  I don’t remember any stories of someone needing to take sanctuary, but I’ll be watching for it as we continue to read.

TOMORROW’S TEXT: Joshua 21:13 – 23:16

No comments: