Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Bible in a Year March 5 Dt 29:1 - 32:14

 

March 5 Dt 29:1 - 32:14

Our last full day of Deuteronomy! We’ve almost made it!

I was surprised when I saw how many verses I had underlined or highlighted in today’s reading already. I’m not sure if I marked them during sermons or as I read this section at other times. There is a lot of encouragement and lots of warning. While these verses were written specifically for the Israelites and the first covenant, they also can be applied to us today if we look at the New Testament covenant instead of the OT one.

Verse29:19 warns against thinking it’s ok to do whatever we want because we are covered by a covenant. Just because we have the salvation of the covenant doesn’t mean we can live like we don’t! But there is a lot of encouragement throughout, 30:11 reminds us that obedience is not too difficult or beyond our reach, and several times we are told to be strong and courageous. And one of God’s best promises is in verse 31:8.

“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

I can imagine it broke Moses’ heart to hear that the Israelites would indeed become corrupt and suffer disastrous results because of it.

TOMORROW’S TEXT: Dt 32:15 – 34:12; Joshua 1:1-9

No comments: