Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Joys of Leviticus

Well, we've been at this for more than a month...are you still reading every day? I have gotten one day behind, but I have some time to make it up today. I have to admit that I really got stuck in Leviticus, so I took a break and read Psalms for a couple of days...that helped a lot.

Today I read about 'clean and unclean' food, skin disease, and mildew (all before breakfast...yuck!). I am SO glad that I live in this day and age, not back then. Did you know that if mildew was found in your home you had to move out for 7 days to see if it spread? And if it did, you had to tear out the contaminated stones, scrape all the inside walls of the house, and then replace it with new stones, new clay, and new plaster. I imagine that 95% of Americans would be getting new bathrooms about now! (Hmmm....)

I am amazed at the job of the priests. They had daily chores, such as grain offerings and incense lighting, then they had to slaughter a wide variety of animals and birds for sin, friendship, and a host of other things. Then they had to look at every skin lesion, examine all mildew on clothing, and put people in isolation for long periods of time. Then of course, there is that little part about making a mistake that would render them dead in seconds! I'm not sure Aaron thought it was an honor.

I can't wait until tomorrow when I get to read about unclean discharges and eating blood!

Even if you have gotten off track, be sure to read every day....see what you've been missing?

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog - thanks for your wisdom and encouragement!

Deanna