Saturday, October 14, 2006

Accepting Weakness

Verse for the day: 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (NIV, taken from www.biblegateway.com)

Ugh, I hate when I can't handle everything that comes along. All the 'boys' in our house are on a camping trip, and I got a flat tire this morning. No problem; my Dad, in his wisdom, made me learn how to change a tire before I was allowed to drive the car. I was driving my husband's car, so I'd never changed a tire on it before. What could be so hard?

I unloaded the trunk and figured out how to get the spare tire and the jack out (not a very self-explanatory set up). The jack was wedged into place and it took a lot of tugging, but I finally got it. Taking the wheel cover off was another story. The car manual's picture didn't look anything like the actual wheel, and there wasn't a tool in the kit that fit -- it looked like I needed a large allen wrench. There wasn't one in the tire changing kit, and I couldn't find one in our house. I finally got it off using a large screwdriver.

Next I knew I needed to loosen the lug nuts before jacking up the car. Every single one of them must be glued on! I twisted, turned, jumped, kicked, and even hammered at the lug wrench. Not a single nut will budge!

This is so frustrating. I have the knowledge, and I have the basic strength to change a tire, but I am unable to do the job. Why do I hesitate to ask for help? I don't want anyone to think I'm not capable, but what difference does that make anyway?

If it is so hard for me to ask other people for help, I know I am not turning to God for the help He can offer, either. I want to handle everything, but like the lug nuts, my life won't budge without God's strength making the change. Lord, Help me to turn to you for strength. You know what my life needs, and you know how to make the changes. Help me not to be stubborn as you work to make me new. Oh, and send someone strong to help me change the tire!

No comments: