Thursday, October 12, 2006

I need to act my age...

Verse for the Day: Proverbs 16:22 Understanding is a fountain of life to those who have it, but folly brings punishment to fools (NIV)

I knew before my feet left the ground that this was a mistake. When will I listen to that voice in my head? My daughter was working hard to improve her cartwheels and round-offs and I was observing and offering advice. I used to do gymnastics a lot -- I joke that I've spent 2 - 3 years of my life upside down. She went inside to wrap her wrist so it would be stronger, and I thought that I'd try a cartwheel and round-off so I could better explain what you do at different points in each stunt.

I walked around to the side of the house so no one would see me; that should have been my first clue that this stunt wouldn't go as planned! I stretched a little and tucked my shirt in (must be modest!), then I started. My hands went down well, and the cartwheel felt comfortable and familiar -- until I was upside down and my arm decided it didn't want to support my weight. Everything moved in slow motion, and my feet landed awkwardly as I crashed on my shoulder.

Of course, the first thing I did was look around to see if anyone saw me! Then I moved everything to be sure I wasn't broken. I got up quickly and went back to the stone wall where I'd been sitting while watching my daughter. She came out and was none the wiser. After several more attempts and definite improvement, we decided she'd had enough and started back into the house. Hmm. Things weren't moving as smoothly as usual. I'd slightly pulled a muscle in my leg and pinched a ligament in my back (as I found out later). So, for now I get to sleep sitting up and I can't stand or sit for more than five minutes without having to move.

When will I admit that I'm getting old? I know you are only as old as you feel, but somewhere common sense needs to kick in. I have given lots of people a good laugh, though, and disappointed many since there isn't a video tape of my folly. Guess I'm back to sitting on the sidelines!

No comments: