Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Putting the Awe in Autumn

Key Verse - You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12

I love living in a place with four distinct seasons. In March I will be the first to tell you that Spring is my favorite season. I practically dance around the yard looking for the first green shoots of daffodils, my favorite 'happy' flower. As the season progresses, my family suffers through daily updates on the latest perennials to pop through the fertile dirt.

But as I age, I have to say that Autumn is becoming my favorite season. Of course, it doesn't look the same in all parts of the country. I am partial to the multiple colors of the Midwest. There are so many shades of green, gold, orange, and red that it is beyond my comprehension. Some gold trees practically glow in the sunshine as they try to outshine their peers. Then there are the sweet gums -- I never realized that orange, pink, and red looked so good together!

We drove down the highway for about 45 minutes the other day, and my nose was practically pressed to the window. Each time we rounded a bend, I had to catch my breath. Every new hill was more colorful than the last. At this time of year I fully understand the concept of being so awed that my heart swells. I can't get enough of the beauty.

While Spring reminds us that life goes on, Autumn seems to be a opportunity for God to show off. Each October the world sings and applauds His glory.

No comments: