Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Ant Bully

It's that time of year again. I opened my dishwasher and was disgusted by the swarm of ants in the bottom. GROSS. I checked out the internet to find solutions (since it was so helpful last year during our fruit fly fest!).

I wanted to find something that was safe, since we DO wash our dishes here (and what is more disgusting that an ant carcas sticking to the glass you want to drink out of??). I found this recipe:

1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 T borax

combine ingredients and boil for three minutes. As it cools it will thicken into a gel. Put a glob in a lid or just in the area where you see the ants. They will probably swarm it for a while, but once they ingest it and take it back to the nest they die!

So I'm trying it. I have borax at home since I use it in the laundry detergent we make, so it was easy to create this little concoction. I decided to pour the whole panful of it in the bottom of the dishwasher...did I say that ants disgust me?

I'll let you know how it works. I haven't seen ants anywhere else. Hopefully this doesn't cause them to find friendlier accomodations elsewhere in the house!

No comments: