Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Round 2

Every time I write a blog about the ants my computer glitches and it doesn't post or save. Hmm...wonder if my computer has a rebellious bug?


So, I was looking for the recipe for the borax glop that I used in the dishwasher before and I found a website that said all you have to do is sprinkle a thin line of borax around the base of the cabinets and the back corners of the countertops. The ants ingest the borax and become dehydrated to the extent that they are just skeletons. Sounds evil!

Therefore, since I have powdered borax I have graced the edges of the kitchen. Looks a little like I had a salt frenzy, but hopefully it will work. A side benefit is that it is supposed to work on all bugs (although I'm not aware of any others in the house...I'm so naive!).

But I started thinking -- is it unethical to kill bugs? I mean, they really don't mean me any harm. But I thought the bugs and I had an agreement -- they stay out of the house and don't chomp on my flowers and I leave them alone. They aren't sticking with their side of the agreement!

Besides -- it's not like I'm actively killing them (like I had intended by spraying them with poison). It's their choice to either eat the borax and die or just go away!

Hmmm -- I wonder if some alien being is doing the same thing with humans by offering us transfats and high fructose corn syrup?!?!?

No comments: