Monday, January 22, 2024

Bible in a Year January 22: Exodus 14:21 – 17:16

 

January 22: Exodus 14:21 – 17:16

Many people look at the Israelites as constant complainers with little faith. But imagine you are travelling with about a million of your closest friends for 45 days in a desert. You are drinking warm water, perhaps a couple of days old already and you have no idea when you’ll find a source to refill your water jar. You’ve eaten all the unleavened bread you brought and have used up the ingredients you carefully packed – there is no more to feed your children. Your animals have been slaughtered and you are desperate to create a good meal for your family. You are tired, sore, dirty, and hungry.

I know that I would whine and complain, I’ll admit it. Yes, it wasn’t long ago that God did incredible miracles, but things were starting to get ‘real’ in the desert. Is there much difference between asking Moses what they should do and complaining that there was no food or water? I guess it’s all in the attitude.

How long do we go in our desperate situations these days without complaint? How many days of cold (or hot or wet or dry) weather do we endure before we wish for a reprieve? How about more serious things – illness, job loss, or issues in our society?

Do we complain to God or ask for his will to be done? How often do we look for lessons to be learned instead of relief from discomfort? What if God knows we need some ‘desert time’ to fully rely on him? I know I’ve got some ‘sand in my shoes’ that I need to turn over to Him. I want to walk with Him, wherever he might take me, and trust that He knows the way. God, help me to trust you more.

TOMORROW’S TEXT: Exodus 18:1 – 21:21

No comments: