Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Bible in a Year January 31: Exodus 40:17-38; Leviticus 1-4

 

January 31: Exodus 40:17-38; Leviticus 1-4

Whether or not it was perfect, "the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle." I can just hear the sigh of relief and awe. This cloud, which became full of fire by night, was their constant reminder that God was with them. When He wanted them to move on to another location, the cloud (or the fire) lifted, and they would set out. The cloud by day and fire by night was "in the sight of all the house of Israel during all their travels." (Exodus 40:34-38, NIV).

Sometimes I long for such a visible sign to tell me what God wants me to do. I imagine the signs are probably there if I know where to look, but frequently I desire the answer in MY heart, not God's, so I most likely look the other way. Even if we don't see His glory, we can know that God is always with us and will never leave or forsake us. Our faith in Him will help us through the toughest deserts we will ever travel.

Leviticus Overview

DON’T FREAK OUT – Leviticus is one of three reasons most people stop reading the Bible in a year! I’m going to do everything I can to make this interesting (for my own sake).

Leviticus is full of the laws and regulations for service in the Tabernacle. The key theme is holiness, and how it is symbolized by physical perfection. If nothing else, this book will remind you of how lucky we are that Jesus stands before us when God questions our holiness – God will see only Jesus and HIS holiness instead of our sinfulness.

While we as Christians are not required to abide by these laws, it is important for us to understand the purpose and need for fulfillment of them by the Israelites. This is the first time God is outlining what it means to be holy and without sin. The Israelites have grown up for generations in a pagan world and they really have never been taught the expectations of the God they worshipped.

The key verse is Leviticus 20:26 “You shall be holy to me, for I the LORD am holy and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be mine.”

We are only in Leviticus for 10 days! We can make it through. These offerings were rather intense. Did you notice that the person who is bringing the offering is the one who has to kill and cut up the animal? And they had to place one hand on the animals head at the time it was slaughtered as an acknowledgement that the animal was being sacrificed in his place. After such an ordeal I know I’d be really careful not to sin again in the future.

All of these offerings are for unintentional sin. What if someone sinned on purpose? Maybe we’ll find out more later. I can’t imagine how many animals were killed on a daily basis. A burnt offering was made every morning and every evening. Double offerings were made on the Sabbath and during festivals. In addition, people could bring offerings whenever they wanted to express special devotion to the Lord.

How will you best express your devotion to the Lord today?

TOMORROW’S TEXT: Leviticus 5 – 7

No comments: